Friday, March 20, 2020

A New Normal

When we left school 13 days ago for Spring Break, I was looking forward to a week with friends and family on our  beautiful Costa Rican beach.  I had plans to relax and recharge before coming back to the whirlwind of spring contests, Photoshop Certifications, national conventions, photo shoots, AP testing, and more.

Then everything changed.

Before we left Costa Rica, we received notice that Spring Break would be extended.  By the time our flight left on Sunday, the airports were quiet.  People boarded the planes armed with masks, Clorox wipes, and weary looks of caution but solidarity.  By the time we arrived home, grocery shelves were bare and toilet paper was the new hot commodity.

And today, there is a new normal. 

Everyday I work through the full range of emotions: 
Respect for the epidemiologists, scientists, health care workers and first responders that put themselves on the frontlines every day to battle for prevention and cure. 
Gratitude for the health of my family and the extra time I get to spend with them. 
Ambition to discover   new ways to teach and engage students with remote learning.
Sadness for all the things my students and my own children are missing out on -- sports, friends, competitions, social events. 
Frustration that people are not taking this seriously and following the guidelines - further extending the reach of Covid-19 and putting so many at risk. 
And Fear that this will last much longer than the two to three weeks we first imagined.

One day, this new normal will be history.  One day we will look back at the world "before" the Covid-19 pandemic and the global changes it has effected.  But for now, I will try to chronicle those changes, those emotions,  and the struggles and the triumphs as they occur. 



On Thursday, March 19th, I left a silent Robert G. Cole Campus for an indefinite amount of time.  Teachers were allowed to visit campus using social distancing protocols on March 18 & 19 to pick up any necessary materials to teach remotely; after those dates, the campus is closed.  "It was not celebratory; not like summer vacation," teacher Brenda Marafioto said.  "I  already miss my co-workers, my students, and my program; I'd rather see them in person, but we will make the most of this remote learning opportunity."
On Wednesday, March 18, Cole Middle and High School teachers gathered online to learn about the new teaching schedule and educational expectations for remote learning. Teachers participated using Zoom, one online meeting option for class sessions which will begin next week.  "I didn't realize how powerful it would be to see and hear each other - even just online," Senior English teacher Mariel Gaitan-Martinez said. "I am so glad that we will be able to connect with our students as well." 

Although he could not see  them face-to-face because of self-isolation after a trip out of the country, Chase Marafioto delivers groceries to his grandparents' garage  on Friday, March 19.  Since seniors are especially vulnerable to the spread of Covid-19, many younger people are stepping up to help with shopping or errands.  "I wanted to see my grandma, but I didn't want to take the chance of getting her sick," Marafioto said, "so I did what I could for her by bringing her groceries."

No comments:

Post a Comment